How to sell supplements on Amazon FBA – A Step-by-Step Tutorial
Welcome to this step-by-step tutorial on how to sell sports nutrition supplements on Amazon FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon).
Amazon’s remarkable platform is set-up perfectly for launching a supplement business using a private labelling supplier, so if you’re looking to build a profitable online supplement business that generates passive income, then Amazon provides many fantastic opportunities for the average person to get started.
The following guide is designed to walk you through the steps of how to sell supplements on Amazon FBA so that you get an overview and solid understanding of how the entire process works.
STEP 1: Selecting the right product for Amazon success
The first step is to select the supplement or range of supplements you’re going to sell on Amazon. It can be easier initially to supply an existing market than try to create a desire for a new product, but better still is to capitalise on an emerging trend before the market becomes saturated. Find out what is already selling well on Amazon by visiting the Amazon Bestsellers List. While Amazon don’t reveal actual sales numbers of other products it will give you a good idea of what’s currently popular.
It is also a good idea to think about how your product will appear next to the competition in a search result. Take the time to research the supplement market on Amazon (and more generally in the industry) and try multiple different searches, mixing and matching different terms to see what ranks for each result. Will your product sit at the premium end of the market or target bargain hunters? Will you offer unbeatable value or blow people away with the unrivalled benefits of your supplement? Who are your target audience?
Consider the popularity, profit margin and opportunity for repeat business for each of the product types. For example, a Meal Replacement Shake taken twice a day will need to be replaced more regularly than a Pre-Workout used three times a week but may give you lower margins.
HOT TIP: When calculating predicted margins make sure to factor in Amazon’s cut of every sale. A normal ratio for a healthy online business would be approximately one third to your supplier, one third to Amazon and one third profit.
Start by browsing our complete range of ready-to-go supplements available for private labelling at: www.suppleform.co.uk and research the corresponding market on Amazon for the ones you’re interested in.
STEP 2: Getting your own branded products
Once you’ve decided on the supplements you’d like to sell it’s time to start the private labelling process. It’s very easy with Suppleform. All you need to do is select your size and flavour choice from our extensive selection of products and our in-house Design Team will create your very own brand.
HOT TIP: If your supplements leave a bad taste in the mouth then customers may leave you a bad review, and they certainly won’t be back for more. Make sure you taste test the products yourself before committing to buy. You can order your free samples here.
With Suppleform you can opt for one of our professionally designed FREE label design templates (browse the range here) or you get us to create a completely bespoke design. Consider carefully how the colour and style of your branding will compare with the competition. Great design adds significant value to your product in customer’s eyes, just as poor or amateurish design will make your product appear cheap and untrustworthy.
There are pros and cons to both generic designs (wide appeal with the risk of being ‘lost in the noise’) and targeted designs (narrower appeal but greater potential for brand differentiation). For example, an All-in-One Protein aimed specifically for CrossFitters will immediately grab the attention of that group but will likely alienate more casual gym-goers. Consider both the potential size and spending habits of your target group in your branding decisions.
You also want to think beyond a single product and look at the potential for building and growing a brand on Amazon that sells a wider range of supplements to people. A strong, versatile brand will translate well across a range of different packaging and product types.
Once you’re happy with your new brand, our in-house production department will then manufacture and package your products, print and apply the labels and then pack them ready for shipping to Amazon.
Top Selling Suppleform Products
If you’d like an idea of what’s hot right now, why not check out our current best sellers ? Or, if you would like to find out more about our complete range of products or are looking to create something completely bespoke, you can simply request a callback and one of our friendly sales team will give you a call. We’ll be able to advise on what’s currently selling well for our customers on Amazon and other channels.
STEP 3: Setting up a listing and shipping your inventory to Amazon Fulfilment Centres
Now your sports supplements are packaged, labelled and ready to go – the next step is to ship everything to Amazon.
You can set up an Amazon Seller Central Account by visiting this page.
You’ll then want to create your Amazon product listing (you can do this earlier if you’d like), and then set up a shipping plan to send your products to Amazon.
At the time of writing Amazon are offering free transportation of your first shipment (up to 200 units) to a local Amazon warehouse. A great way to get started.
When creating your listing we recommend that you opt in for Fulfilment by Amazon, so that Amazon will handle all of the storage and shipping for you and deliver your product to your customers.
Amazon will give you the details and locations of where to send your inventory. You then need to just arrange for a carrier to collect your supplements from us and deliver them to an Amazon distribution centre.
Please Note: Depending on the product that you chose to sell and the category the product is going to be listing in, Amazon may require you to provide them with further information in order to list your product in that category.
STEP 4: Start selling on Amazon!
Once your listing is up, and Amazon have received your inventory, your product is now available for sale!
It’s now time to market and promote your new product. There are many factors involved with generating sales on Amazon. Here are a couple of top tips to help improve your Amazon listing and start climbing higher up the Amazon search engine:
- Customer reviews are important. It probably doesn’t need to be said that the quantity and positivity of your customer reviews is one of the most important ranking factors in Amazon’s A9 algorithm.
- Answer Questions. Potential customers may ask questions on your listing about your product. Try and answer these as quickly and comprehensively as you can, as they can act as trust indicators and may help make the buying decision easier for future potential customers who have the same questions. You can also use this information to refine future marketing campaigns.
- Use the right images. Amazon are continuously tightening their image size and quality polices for product listings. Right now, some categories won’t even display results that don’t have at least one image that is 1000×1000 pixels or larger. Make sure you upload high quality, informative images. Amazon may also request images of the sides of your product too. Our Design Team can produce high quality images for you to Amazon specifications.
- Create ‘Parent/Child’ product listings. Many sellers create multiple listings for variations of the same product. For example, if you have lots of different flavoured whey protein, don’t list them as separate products, but use Amazons built-in parent-child product functionality. The reason for this is it maximises your customer reviews, since Amazon will combine your similar products into a single primary product page. It also helps from a user experience point of view; by keeping potential customers on the same page makes it more likely they’ll buy your product.
STEP 5: Product Listing Completeness
Finally, the last thing we suggest you do is spend some time making sure your product listing is as complete as possible. The overall completeness of a product listing has an effect on conversion rates. As a general rule, the more complete you make your listing, the better.
HOT TIP: Try your best to fill in every single field in the listing setup page to maximise your chances of appearing higher in search results.
- Title: With the product title, you’ll want to optimise it around keywords. Don’t use a single keyword, but fit as many keywords as you can into about 80 characters. Look at your competitors product titles and see what keywords they’re targeting.
- Features / Bullet points: You’ll want to complete all five bullet points with keyword rich, informative features. Keep these easily readable, but as detailed as you can get them.
- Product description: Expand on your product features / bullet points in your product description. If there’s anywhere on your listing where you want to put a whole lot of effort into engagement, it’s the product description. Space the description out so that it’s easy to read, and add bolded sub-headers to separate out the content
- Important Information: In this section you may wish to include safety information, for example how to store the product, a full list of the ingredients, or you may also want to talk about the directions for use.
- Product Information: The specifications or product information section is different to the product features. This section is where you actually list the technical and physical details of your product, so you may wish to include, ingredients, safety warnings, directions, country of origin, brand, shipping weight, delivery destinations etc.
A breakdown of the highlighted points above:
- 1. Make sure to write a keyword rich, informative title for your product. Perform keywords research to get an understanding of which keywords you’d like to target.
- 2. The more good reviews you have, the better! Consider emailing customers to kindly ask for feedback. We’ve provided an example of the type of email you could send just below in the ‘Bonus Content’ section.
- 3. Consider offering your product at a discounted rate to get sales flowing. Some sellers launching a new brand or product line will actually allocate a set number of units as loss leaders, where they offer an item for sale at a reduced price in order to either ‘lead’ to the subsequent sale of their other items, to increase awareness of the reduced item or to gain feedback and ratings.
- 4. Promotions. Customers love promotions because they offer ways to save them money. You can use promotional offers as an incentive for a customer to make a buying decision sooner rather than later. Think carefully about your promotions and make sure the promotion offers sufficient value to favourably influence the customers choice.
- 5. Amazon offers a built-in parent/child product function that directs all potential buyers to a single page. Helping customers find different versions of a product they’re searching for on one page means fewer clicks and faster check-outs. Use this to your advantage, especially if you have multiple various of you product, e.g. different flavours or pack sizes.
- 6. There is a five bullet point limit so make sure you create all five features. Each bullet has a maximum character limit of 500 characters, so make sure you pack each one with your researched keywords. Be sure to describe and include the benefit of each feature.
- 7. With your main product image, make sure it’s clear and looks professional. Keep the product on a pure white background and the product should fill as much of the image frame as possible. Image pixel dimensions need to be at least 1000 pixels in either height or width. For the full product image requirements – click here.
- 8. For your second image we recommend uploading an image of the nutritional values. We can provide image renders for you. For more information – click here.
- 9. Think of the product images as free advertising space. You can add your own graphics here to add value to the product/brand.
- 10. If you have a range of products, why not cross promote them here?
★ BONUS CONTENT ★
Run Amazon Sponsored Product ads
Amazon has a robust advertising platform that allows you to market your supplements to targeted audiences/customers who are using the site. Amazon’s Sponsored Product ads run on a Pay-Per-Click (PPC) model that allows you to promote your products alongside organic search results. Your adverts can appear above, alongside or below search results. Adverts can also be shown on product detail pages.
If you’re not familiar with paid advertising and PPC, we suggest reading up and learning about this area of marketing before jumping in to Amazon Sponsored Product ads. If not monitored or set-up correctly, PPC campaigns can quickly add up to a hefty bill!
For further information you can watch this: ‘Amazon Sponsored Products: Campaign Manager Overview‘ video.
If you are familiar with PPC, here are three simple steps to get up and running quickly:
- Step 1: Start with Amazon’s automatic targeting option. This allows Amazon to use its search algorithms to suggest an exhaustive list of potential keywords for you. This option requires you to pick a flat rate default bid across all keywords (not ideal), but the goal in step one is to get data on how various keywords perform for each of your products.
- Step 2: Once you have at least a few weeks’ worth of data (the more the better), start evaluating your automatic targeting campaign to determine which keywords are performing the best. You will then want to move those keywords that are performing well over to a manual campaign. With a manual campaign, you have the ability to adjust bids for each keyword.
- Step 3: Continue to run through your manual campaigns for keywords and bids. Data is your best friend, but if you feel strongly that you should include additional keywords that haven’t yet performed well, test various bid amounts. Different bid amounts can yield various placements and yield varying results, so continue to test until you find something that works well and provides a strong ROI.
Drive External Traffic to your listing
Many new brands that start a supplement business and list their products on Amazon forget about this part, or they reserve all external channels to point to their eCommerce website.
Whilst there is obvious value in driving traffic directly to your website, those same tactics will also work to promote your Amazon listing. By driving targeted external traffic to your Amazon product page, you’ll increase sales, leading to more reviews and ultimately to higher organic Amazon search results.
There are a multitude of ways to send external traffic to your Amazon product listing. You can use blogs, social media platforms, email marketing, online press releases, various paid search channels like Facebook ads, Google AdWords or Bing ads. Strategically decide which channels make sense to direct traffic to Amazon for your particular supplement.
Use the Amazon profit calculator to work out your potential FBA fees
The Fulfilment by Amazon Revenue Calculator can give you an idea of your FBA fulfilment costs and allows you to see real-time cost comparisons between your own fulfilment and Amazons offering for customer orders fulfilled on Amazon.co.uk.
Example of email to send to customers asking them to leave a review
Dear *customer’s name*,
We really hope you are enjoying your *product name* from *your brand* and that you received it promptly.
If you have been impressed with our product and service, we hope you’ll shop with us again and recommend us to the world by adding your feedback on Amazon.co.uk.
Simply sign in to Amazon.co.uk, visit the “Your Account” page, click on “Your Orders” and select the “Write a product review” link.
If you were not so happy with your order, please reply to this email and we’ll do our best to quickly resolve the issue.
If you have already left feedback, thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
Thank you again for shopping with *your brand*.
*your brand* Founder
Amazon can be a very competitive and complex marketplace, but if you spend some time learning how the platform operates, optimise and promote your listings, you’ll be in a much better position to compete.
Don’t get distracted by trying to game the system. Instead, focus on what you would want to see if you were the customer: clear and descriptive pages, competitive pricing, reputable and high quality verified reviews, and a trustworthy and responsive seller.
If you can focus on the things that matter and do so with a professional and credible attitude, then you are already ahead of many competitors.
If you have any questions or comments please leave them below and we’ll do our best to answer them.
Sharing is caring! If you enjoyed reading this guide and found it helpful, please help spread the word.
We’ve had a great 2016, helping new customers all across the UK start brands and supporting existing customers as they grow and expand. We’ve added to our exciting range of private label supplements and improved some old favourites.
As you know, the industry never stands still and there’s always a new trend just around the corner. Here’s the lowdown on the most popular products of the past 12 months!
Decline in the Value of the British Pound (Sterling) against the Euro and United States Dollar – Protein Price Increase Unavoidable.
There are numerous reasons why commodity prices fluctuate, sometimes wildly.
Oil, for example, has been under worldwide downward pressure which influences the prices at the pumps.
The pressure causing an increase in the price of protein is, however, a direct result of a few major influences:
1. the current weakness of the British pound;
2. worldwide demand continuing to put pressure on stock;
3. the decision made by HMRC a few years ago to add 20% VAT to the price of Sports Protein Products.
Q4 (October, November, December) has seen prices hardening by + 12%. However, by January 2017 (Q1), it is anticipated that protein prices will increase by as much as 25%.
Vydex (Suppleform) is one of the larger buyers of protein in the UK. We have our supply position well covered, but we will not be immune to the exchange rate influence, even though we bought euros some time ago at £1.00 / €1,42; they are almost all used up! You will see from the graph that the rate (at the time of writing) is down to £1.00 / €1,11. I don’t think I would buy a holiday home in Spain at the moment!
Our advice is to buy in as much protein as you can afford now before the price increase takes effect. Order and pay for your January stock no later than the end of November or the first week in December for January delivery.
© Suppleform 1st November 2016
We’ve been helping people from all over the UK create successful private label supplement brands for longer than any of our competitors and here’s just a bit of what we’ve learned down the years. All the advice in the graphic has been road-tested and employed to great effect time and again by some of our most savvy customers!
The sports supplements market is healthier than ever pfizer viagra prix. It is estimated that the world will be consuming £8bn a year of bars, drinks and other supplements by 2017.
There is, however, a wave of products entering the market that are being developed for the mainstream and targeted at people without much knowledge of the supplements industry.
Traditional protein drinks have usually been characterised by displays of large bottles and tubs, often with ‘loud’ label designs and images of very muscular models. The powders and bars were designed to appeal to hard-core gym goers and amateur athletes. The typical customer was someone who wanted to build muscle and aid recovery after heavy workouts.
The most significant recent change in the industry is that the latest generation of supplement users are more likely to purchase products as part of a holistically healthy lifestyle. Protein supplements are no longer associated exclusively with the bodybuilding world. The general health and fitness market is now even more important. Some of the largest industry players have contributed to this shift in public perception with concerted information campaigns in print, online and even TV adverts.
Everybody needs protein in their diet on a daily basis; it is essential for body tissues, necessary for growth and contributes to muscle mass and bone health.
Additionally, more and more people are taking an interest in their wellbeing, with a healthy and balanced diet seen as a vital aspect to get right. As awareness of the benefits of protein increases, so do the channels down which you can market your protein products.
The combined result has been a sharp increase in sales. According to Euromonitor figures, worldwide sales of sports related protein products grew from £2.5bn in 2007 to £4.9bn in 2012 and are likely to reach £7.8bn in 2017. In the UK, sales increased from £73m in 2007 to £170m in 2012 and are expected to reach £358m by 2017.
The market is now bigger and more diverse than ever, as more and more people are interested in protein products and supplements. The key is knowing how to market for these different sectors. Something as simple as branding can make a real difference – and if you’re thinking about tackling more than one sector, it might be worth considering having more than one brand to do so.
So, there has never been a better time to invest in the protein market as the demand grows. You know your customers better than anyone and we know production, so together we can deliver the products the market is looking for.
The masses of bodybuilders who work out every day, looking to achieve maximum performance gains, are going to reach a point where they start wondering if there are products out there that will help take their results up a level?
With a huge array of bodybuilding supplements on the market, which ones should you stock to keep up with customer demand? Which will deliver results for your clients?
Here, we take a look at which supplements you should stock for bodybuilding:
The Best Supplements For Cutting
There are two main aims when cutting: increase your total daily calorie outlay and uphold lean muscle mass tissue. So you need to seek out products that enable your clients to achieve both.
Firstly, to aid daily calorie outlay, you’ll want to get your hands on an energy promoter. This will help to combat some of the lethargy typically encountered while on a reduced calorie diet, so your clients can still stay as active as usual, burning up those calories faster.
In addition to that, you’ll also want to source a thermogenic fat burner. By increasing metabolic output, this will enable your clients to burn off fat throughout the whole day, if they adhere to a strict diet and training programme too.
At the other end of the spectrum, you need to be doing something to preserve their lean muscle mass tissue. The last thing clients will want to do when cutting is lose muscle they worked so hard to build. This requires a branched chain amino acid product, which will help give muscles an amino acid boost when they need it most. These should be taken immediately before and after a training session and they can go a long way towards fending off lean muscle mass tissue.
You should also consider buying in a good quality protein powder. Protein needs are elevated when cutting, so a high quality powder will ensures protein requirements are met. Look for a protein product that contains very few grams of carbs and fats, as this will indicate that the bulk of the powder is made up of pure protein.
The Best Supplements For Bulking
Bulking goals are different to cutting goals. Your clients will want to add more calories to their diet so that they can boost their surplus for building lean muscle mass.
Consider stocking a weight gainer or meal replacement powder for this purpose. It will help to boost client’s daily calorie intake in a shake format, which isn’t as filling as solid food, making it easier to digest.
You would also benefit from stocking an energy enhancer, for those who like to go the extra mile in the gym.
Creatine and monohydrate are also considerations, as they ensure that clients have a maximum supply of creatine in their body. Creatine is the precursor to the high energy compound ATP, which fuels each and every muscular contraction. Using such a product can help clients fend off fatigue before it hits.
Finally, you’ll also want to consider products that will help clients support a more anabolic internal environment. Testosterone is the key hormone here and is by far the most powerful muscle building hormone in the body.
Using a testosterone booster, which consists of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6 can help give an extra boost, elevating recovery rates, muscle mass development, and also helping to boost libido levels as well.
So, that concludes our summary of the main supplements to consider stocking for any bodybuilding client, whatever their goals acheter viagra tunisie. Ensuring that your bodybuilding clients follow a good training and diet plan are essential prior to recommending any supplementation, as any efforts to improve performance would be in vain if that wasn’t the case.
All-in-one supplements are a great ‘one stop’ solution to your supplement needs when all you want is to have something which gives you everything you need in one hit viagra 50 ou 100 mg. There are many excellent all-in-one supplements on the market which are able to deliver some remarkable results when combined with a sound nutritional plan.
Benefits of all-in-one supplements
One of the greatest benefits to using a premier all-in-one supplement is that you can get all of the supplement power you need from just one product. This reduces the time and effort required to ensure you are taking all of the supplements you have highlighted as being necessary for your goals and direction. Then you get the benefits of the protein content, meaning that you cut down the amount of food you need to eat on a daily basis in order to withstand your muscle size. Additionally, by maintaining a high protein diet your blood sugar levels remain steady which in turn make best use of your ability to burn body fat as well as enables you to utilise the anabolic properties of insulin. Most decent all-in-ones will also contain Creatine, which is of course a unique supplement in itself. The benefit of Creatine is that your muscle cell becomes flooded with Creatine, therefore you are able to produce more ATPs which in turn leads to enhanced anaerobic staying power and improved strength. Another huge benefit of Creatine is that it acts like a sponge in the muscle, drawing water into the muscle cell. This is positive because the water helps transport vital macronutrients into the muscle cell leading to a greater rate of nutrient absorption and it also acts as a volumising agent as well giving you a bigger and fuller look. All-in-ones also generally contain L-Glutamine which is a fantastic amino acid. It is best known for its ability to promote the recovery of muscles within the body by promoting the transport of nutrients into the muscle cell. All of these benefits make an all-in-one supplement very tempting for the serious athlete or recreational trainer, who needs that ‘fix’ to maintain their active lifestyle.
Key components found in all-in-one supplements
All-in-one supplements will contain a top quality source of protein such as whey protein concentrate or isolate. This is vital in order to transport to you a source of nutrients which will support repair and grow lean muscle mass.
Creatine is also a very popular ingredient for its ability to improve energy, endurance and strength levels in the gym as well as give a full look. Finally, L-Glutamine is always very popular due to its great ability for promoting muscle repair even after the most energetic of training sessions.
In conclusion, it is safe to say that all-in-one formulas are for those who simply want the benefit of all of the market leading supplements all-in-one shake. These supplements are absolutely ideal for an athlete who doesn’t have a lot of time, who is extremely active and requires functional gains from their supplement.